What is Data Governance?
Data Governance is the management of data during its lifecycle. To have an inclusive data governance plan, you must have internal standards and data policies that apply to gathering, storing, processing, sharing, and disposing of data.
Data has become a remarkably valuable asset in business today, and businesses have more data than ever before. All businesses need data governance, or information governance, to balance how data is collected and secured and to discover the value of the data.
New privacy and security risks emerge each day in a digital environment. Organizations that build a data governance framework proactively mitigate risk while increasing their productivity and ability to manage and analyze data.
Data Governance and Healthcare
When it comes to healthcare organizations, the data of patients’ personal, health, and financial information needs to be protected in ways that uphold the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
With so many digital assets to manage and maintain, healthcare organizations and their Business Associates are challenged with data governance, data classification, criticality, and security. This challenge is a call to action for them to embrace the role of data stewardship.
PrivaPlan’s All-Inclusive Data Governance
Data can be complex, but data governance and stewardship doesn’t have to be. PrivaPlan Associates are here to usher you through the process. We create a data governance infrastructure customized for your organizational needs and size.
Most importantly, we help facilitate an organization-wide collaborative approach that appropriately distributes data stewardship roles that align with your organizational strategy.
Our Data Governance program is not just for healthcare and health plans. We also cater to Not-for-Profits, governmental organizations, such as counties and vendors that serve them. We also focus on regulatory requirements beyond the USA, such as GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation EU).
What’s included in our Data Governance Program
- Build your data governance framework
- Identify data classification and criticality programs
- Identify technology solutions
- Identify data stewards for your organization (ownership and operational requirements)
- Keep regulatory requirements in check
- Vendor management
- Develop an ecosystem for data, including digital asset and metadata review
Specific to healthcare organizations:
- Identify and analyze potential risks to ePHI
- A map of who has access to what applications and data and how that access is being used.
- Identify and assist in assigning the operationalizing of roles and ownership between
- Chief Information Security Officer (CISO)
- Chief Information Officer (CIO)
- HIPAA Privacy and Security Officials
- Corporate Privacy Officers
- Corporate Compliance Officers
The benefits you acquire from our assessment include:
- A formal structure for data management
- Spotlight on opportunities for improvements
- Gain insights into regulatory requirements
- Data governance literacy and training
- Education for all members of the organization about the importance of data governance and how it relates to their roles
Discover how PrivaPlan can impact your commitment to Data Governance. Call to speak with our associates today for more information.